Haldi has been every Indian household's go-to fix for ages. Known as the most powerful spices of all, turmeric is a root that accounts for an excess of uses in our kitchens and lives. Its healing properties include antioxidant, anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-carcinogenic. I think we've listed enough benefits to make you look up and rethink its usage in your food!
How To Use Turmeric: Simple Ways
- Go classic with curry. Turmeric is a crucial ingredient in yellow curries. Make Bon Appétit's Coconut Chicken Curry with Turmeric and Lemongrass or try the Roasted Cauliflower and Potato Curry Soup.
- Spice up your Dal or Sambar. Dal tadka is the most popular dish in Indian kitchens or Sambar in South India. This north Indian–style dal tadka is full of flavor. Serve it with steamed rice and enjoy the health benefits.
- Make a paste. Mix powdered turmeric with powdered cumin, ginger powder, garlic powder, sea salt, and black pepper powder. You can then rub it on beef, lamb, chicken, fish, or tofu before grilling.
- Combine with eggs. Turmeric can be a tasty addition to an omelet, a frittata, quiche, or scrambled eggs. Speaking of scrambles, try adding turmeric to a tofu scramble to give it a little boost of color and flavor.
- Add it to stir-fried veggies. Tossing some powdered turmeric and powdered pepper in with Beans, potatoes, squash, pumpkins, or carrots while roasting for an earthy, peppery flavor.
- Sip some "golden" milk. Warm a cup of milk in a saucepan with ½ teaspoon (tsp) of turmeric powder (or 1 ½ tsp of freshly grated turmeric) and 1 tsp freshly grated ginger. Simmer for 15 minutes. Turn off the heat, strain, and stir in a tablespoon of honey.
Indian kitchens have already discovered countless uses for powdered turmeric in their dishes. Considering the number of health benefits it has to offer, this powerful spice can be added to a variety of dishes to keep improving the taste and reap health benefits. Add turmeric powder to curries, smoothies, warm milk, salads, stir-fried dishes, and just about any other way you feel.